Here is a great salad for a summers day. Orzo provides a built in carbohydrate, making this a complete meal all by itself.
Ingredients (for 4 people) [$8.70, or $2.20 per person]
- 80z orzo pasta [Kroger brand $0.80]
- 1 cup olives [from Costco $0.65]
- 2 yellow bell peppers [$2.00]
- 5 green onions [Ralphs $0.50]
- 2 large tomatoes [Costco $0.75]
- 40z feta cheese [Boars Head $3.00]
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1tbs Dijon mustard
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Cook, drain and cool the orzo per directions on the package.
- Top and tail the peppers, remove the seeds. Char the outside of the bell peppers, allow to cool, peel the skin and then cut into 1/2″pieces.
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/2″ cubes.
- Combine the orzo, olives, bell peppers and tomatoes in a large salad bowl.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Add the dressing to the salad and mix together.
- Crumble the feta cheese and sprinkle on the salad.
- Sprinkle a little chopped parsley when serving as a garnish.