This is a wonderful recipe and can be a main course or a side vegetable. I elevated the basic recipe a couple of notches by adding some extras we had in the fridge. Instead of a simple cheese sauce, I added Parmesan and aged Gouda. As an additional topping, I then added salami and prosciutto.
INGREDIENTS (FOR 4 PEOPLE) [$8.45, OR $2.11 PER PERSON]
Cauliflower [$3.95 – Costco]
- 2lbs Cauliflower
- 1/4 cup Breadcrumbs
Cheese Sauce [$4.50]
- 1/2 lb grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 tbs butter
- 3 tbs flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cook and drain the cauliflower per directions on the package.
- Prepare the sauce as follows:
- Melt the butter in a medium size pan
- Add flour and mix, cook over low heat for 1 minute
- Add the liquid and continue to stir with a whisk until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Add salt, pepper and cheese.
- Place the cauliflower in a large bowl, cover with the sauce and sprinkle the breadcrumbs.
- Place under the broiler until the breadcrumbs are a golden brown.
- To increase the flavor of this dish, sprinkle additional cheese on top of the breadcrumbs and add prosciutto.